Business identity theft is not something very common that people must have heard about. Businesses are all about selling your services or products and capture the target audience that would go out and buy your service or product.
You need to sell your services and for that, you need to devote time, resources, and retain customers. Nowadays it is easy to take away the data and personal information about the customers. The dangers of business identity theft are real and ruining, this growing problem of identity theft relates to everyone because it has grown at a fast pace in American states.
Most of the times the businesses are not protected or say defended by fraud attacks and thus this threat occurs and only increases. There are certain types of theft attacks that cannot be protected or prevented. Not only the customer is targeted directly by the identity thief but he is also targeted while working in a company. Because of business identity theft, the American companies have faced billions of financial loss every year. This financial loss disturbs the normal money flow in the country, causes problems with creditors and suppliers eventually affecting your business reputation.
You need to keep a regular check on your credentials and credit reports for any kind of unusual activity that may indicate any signs of identity theft. It would be better if the company is enrolled din credit monitoring services.
How credit services save your data and information:
1. They build refined fraud products that will guarantee your company for redeeming its reliability of the credit database and protect the business & creditors.
2. They use advanced software to keep a check on any strange activity that may hamper the company’s growth.
3. They also work with the law enforcement authorities that help in catching hold of identity thieves.
4. They follow procedures that necessarily safeguards the businesses of their customers and maintain their goodwill.
How can you protect your business from identity theft?
1. Protect your information- There are too many ways a person can take over the control from you and commit computer hacking identity theft. So you need to secure your computer because it may save your personal information from being lost.
2. Protect your passwords- You need to install a trustworthy and updated password manager that will ensure your computer’s safety with the secured software.
3. Background checks- In order to protect the company’s reputation and the business run, the authorities in the company shall keep a background check of the employees. We never know when an old employee can turn into an identity thief.
4. Secure every file online or offline- Whether it is online or offline, the data has to be secured in whichever way possible. Keep a check whether any fraudster has an access to your accounts and files. If yes, be inquisitive enough to catch hold of the fraudster.
5. Establish internal controls in the computers or storage- Where businesses involve employees there it is essential to maintain high security. Employees shall not be given access to every document like customers’ lists, office confidential files, transaction activities etc.
6. Always think wary about any phishing scams- Not only an external source, but even an employee from the company can trick you or other employees. If you or any of your employee gets phishing emails, then you should; as a responsible business owner’ consult the respective authorities about such emails. Notify the bank officials about any phishing scams.
Being vigilant of every activity and any unusual happening is the key that can save you from theft attacks. If you are getting late account statements, phishing emails or fake deals in the emails, you get notifications of logins by unknown accounts, it is time to open up your eyes and ears. Your carelessness may become an open invitation and advantage for the thief, so stay safe.