When somebody becomes a victim of identity theft, he surely suffers stress and anxiety because of the process of recovery from an identity theft may be time taking and slow. Even if the aid has started on time and we have modern technologies these days, identity theft recovery is a gradual process. For many people, identity theft recovery takes a lot of time, for example, it may take years and there are many such identity theft victims too, who are still trying to recover from decades.
Those people, who have been victimised by identity theft in their childhood, are more likely to vulnerable to longer recovery periods. Most often, it is discovered that they have been hit by identity theft when they grow young and have to apply for their bank accounts, or driver’s license or Social Security Number, or jobs. It is not only a one-time case when people have to face it, but one person might face identity theft multiple times. It is shocking when you discover that your identity has been stolen but you cannot do anything about it because somewhere you know there is no quick remedy to recover the loss.
Therefore, when you know nobody can be as swift as you, who can respond to this situation, then you shall take action immediately. Steps that you can take quickly after you discover that you have become a victim of identity theft:
1. File a firsthand fraud report- The first thing you should do is to file a report on the theft attack you have faced. You should always keep a copy of the report. Even if you suspect a thief, you should inform the authorities and officials regarding the same.
2. Check your credit reports- heck if there is any change in your credit reports because this could be a bigger point to notify the officials that you had been a genuine citizen and been victimised. All your personal information is present in your credit reports.
3. Document everything that you owe- Keep everything in black and white, even if you speak with someone about the theft case, you shall write their names, departments where they work, phone extensions, the date when you spoke to them.
4. Call your creditors- Inform your creditors to confirm what documents they have received and take a follow up from them every coming week.
The stretch, struggle and expenditure of identity theft recovery depends upon the following:
1. The time is taken by the victim to realise that an identity thief has robbed him.
2. The credit report and creditworthiness of the victim before any theft attack.
3. The type of theft that occurred to you.
4. If the thief stole your personal information for himself, it is bearable. However, if the thief has sold your information to another perpetrator then it is going to give you bigger headaches.
5. Whether the authorities caught the thief or not. If not then the thief might do bigger damage to your identity and money.
Identity theft recovery is a lengthy and grueling journey that may take years to be rectified and until it does, it takes a lot of patience from the sufferer. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is an organisation that keeps a track on the identity theft statistics, helps the victims and coordinates with the governmental agencies regarding the responses. Unlike other ways to steal identities, there are also the offline identity theft tricks that are commonly committed where people get no idea about how much destructive it could be. We usually become careless to the warnings and signs of identity theft that occur in front of us, which means we become more vulnerable to identity theft. A little cautiousness can save us from the police station rounds and lose our goodwill in the society.