Managing and securing data is a very critical and important task. The data could be either your online data or data stored on your devices. Securing data not only involves preventing its access from unauthorized people but also preventing its accidental or intentional destruction.
The various platforms where you need to manage and secure data are given below along with the steps which need to be taken:
• Password protection
– The password is the most important security tool to secure and save data. It is the first step of security from any attacks. That is why it is very important to create strong passwords which could not be guessed easily by a stranger.
– Also, passwords should be different for different accounts and they should be frequently updated.
– It is often the possibility to forget your passwords when you have to create and remember so many passwords. To overcome this situation, always set up password recovery options and never skip them. This step is very important as it will help you to access your account even if you forget your password. Password recovery options may include either security questions or adding another account or phone number with the account.
– Data-discovery tools can be used to identify sensitive data that may not be adequately protected.
• Sign in and sign out
– To access any account, you have to sign into that account. As important it is to sign into an account, in a similar manner it is important to sign out of the account. This is required so as to protect your private information. This especially becomes important when you are working on a public device. Therefore, always remember to sign out of an account whenever you sign into an account.
– Sometimes to access any service, you need to sign into your account. But at times, it happens that you forget to sign out of the account. This usually does not become a problem if you are using a personal device, but if you are using a public computer or a device at your workplace, then it could be a serious problem. Therefore, always remember to sign out of your account before closing the browser.
• Check your Gmail account settings
While using Gmail, ensure that you take appropriate safety steps to ensure the safety of your account. Check the following settings:
– Make sure that your email is not getting forwarded or shared without your permission.
– Ensure that your email is getting directed properly by checking the mail settings that grant others access to your account.
– Look for any unusual activity in your account.
– At the bottom of the page of your Gmail account, click on the link named “details” to find the most recent IP addresses your mail was accessed from and their locations.
• Use secure networks
Whenever you go online, be very careful about your online activities. Take the following steps:
– Learn how to setup your home Wi-Fi in a secure manner. Make sure to setup a password for the router.
– Check your network connection signals whenever your surf websites.
– Never conduct money transactions on public networks.
• Lock your screen or device
– Keep a habit of locking your devices whenever you leave them, even if it is for a moment.
– Whether it is your PC or mobile, setup a lock on them to get automatically locked after a few seconds if they are not in use. This step is very important to safeguard your information and your identity.
• Keep your device clean
Take the following steps to keep your device clean and protected from threats to data security and data integrity:
– Always keep your browser and operating system updated. This is important because older versions may have discrepancies which may leave them open to attacks.
– See what you click and download. Only download from websites which you trust and don’t click on any anonymous link.
• Storage Devices
Take the following security measures to protect portable storage devices:
– Portable storage devices such as pen drives, hard disks, CDs, DVDs, memory cards, etc. should be password-protected. This is required to prevent unauthorized use by other persons.
– Confidential and sensitive data should not be stored on these devices. But if required to do so, the data must be encrypted. In the case of a laptop, full disk encryption must be employed.
– The data stored on these devices must be regularly backed up.
– Portable devices must be protected with extra care in public places.
– Unauthorized, unlicensed or personally licensed software must not be stored on these devices.
– These devices should be regularly checked with anti-virus software.
• Online shopping safety
Follow the given safety tips while shopping online:
– Before shopping on a new website, conduct a research about the website to make sure if it is legitimate or not.
– See what details the website is demanding to purchase an item. If the website is asking for information which you think is not necessary, be suspicious.
– There are some websites which are an imitation of the original legitimate website. Be cautious of such websites. Take precautions to ensure internet security.
Always ensure relevant security measures to safeguard your data. The steps to manage and secure data involves understanding susceptible threats, applying appropriate measures and continuously updating & monitoring the activities. Multiple layers of security should be established.